Cocoa mulch e-mail

Cocoa mulch e-mail

source-image
Mar 10, 2009
By dvm360.com staff
Cocoa mulch poisonous to pets

Please tell every dog or cat owner you know. Even if you don't have a pet, please pass this to those who do.

In July 2007, the doting owners of Moose, a 3-year-old Labrador, purchased Cocoa Mulch from a local store to use in their garden. They loved the way it smelled and so did Moose, who decided the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large helping.

Moose vomited a few times, which was typical when he ate something new, but he didn't act lethargic in any way. The next day, halfway through his morning walk, Moose had a seizure and died instantly.

His owners had a veterinarian perform a necropsy to determine the likely cause of death of their young and previously healthy pet. The veterinarian found cocoa shells in Moose’s stomach and evidence of Theobromine in the shells.

Theobromine is an ingredient found in all chocolate, but in particularly high concentration in cocoa bean shells, which make the mulch. Theobromine is toxic to dogs, even in small amounts.

Many pet owners aren't aware Cocoa Mulch is dangerous, mainly because there are no warnings printed on the label. Only on Hershy’s, the manufacturer of Cocoa Mulch, Web site, will you read that this product is highly toxic to dogs and cats.

Please tell every dog or cat owner you know about the dangers of Cocoa Mulch.