Tulips and lilies and bone meal—oh my!

Roses are red, violets are blue, protect patients from flowers—your veterinary clients will thank you!
Mar 01, 2012
By dvm360.com staff

It's important to stop and smell the flowers—before your patients do. That's why Pam Weakley, a Firstline Editorial Advisory Board member, says team members need to remind clients their glorious gardens can be a hotbed of red-alert plants that can cause everything from gastrointestinal upset to death, depending on the plant and how much the pet consumes. Weakley recommends keeping a list of common toxins at the front desk for quick reference. She also advises clients to check the ASPCA Poison Control Center website to see what's toxic for dogs, cats, horses, and other pets.