Spring toxin 5: Lily of the valley

Apr 08, 2010
< Previous | Next >     

Spring toxin 5: Lily of the Valley
The lily of the valley (Convallaria majalis) plant contains cardiac glycosides, naturally occurring substances that, when ingested, can cause vomiting, diarrhea, a drop in heart rate, severe cardiac arrhythmias, and possibly seizures. Let clients know that if their pets have eaten this plant, they should bring them in for examination. After the veterinarian has evaluated these pets, they should be treated symptomatically.

Next springtime toxin: Fertilizers