Spring toxin 1: Tulips and hyacinths

While colorful flowers are easy on the eyes, they pose potential danger to cats and dogs. Teach your clients how to pet-proof their gardens with this information about six common spring plants and their toxicities.
source-image
Apr 08, 2010
Next      
veterinary
 

Spring toxin 1: Tulips and hyacinths
Tulips contain allergenic lactones, and hyacinths contain similar alkaloids. The toxic principle of these plants is concentrated in the bulbs, as opposed to the leaf or flower. Pet owners should prevent dogs from digging up, then eating these bulbs. When ingested, the bulbs can irritate the mouth and esophagus.

Typical signs of toxicity include profuse drooling, vomiting, and diarrhea depending. With large amounts of bulb ingestion, more severe symptoms, such as an increase in heart rate and changes in respiration, may be seen. These severe cases require immediate treatment.

There is no specific antidote for bulb ingestion. But pets' prognosis is good with the right veterinary care, including rinsing the mouth, giving anti-vomiting medication, and, possibly, administering subcutaneous fluids.

 
Next springtime toxin: Daffodils