Quiz: Holiday myths debunked

Quiz: Holiday myths debunked

Lillies are extremely toxic to cats.
source-image
Dec 16, 2010
By dvm360.com staff

LillyYou chose myth: Incorrect.

Fact: All flowers of the Lilium species, including Stargazer, Easter, Tiger, and other Asiatic lilies, are extremely poisonous to cats. (Lilies are not toxic to dogs, and only self-limiting vomiting is expected if a dog ingests them.)

Threat to pets: The ingestion of just one or two leaves or petals is enough to cause sudden kidney failure. Even the pollen from these flowers is toxic to cats.

Signs: Signs of kidney failure due to lily ingestion include vomiting, reduced appetite, increased or decreased urination, and lethargy. Kidney failure will begin within a few days of a cat eating lilies and, if not treated, the cat often dies.

Treatment: Any cat ingesting even small pieces of a lily needs an immediate medical evaluation accompanied by intensive intravenous fluid therapy, blood work, and hospitalization.

Prognosis: Good when treated early and appropriately.

Return to quiz