It's important to stop and smell the flowers—before your patients do. That's why Pam Weakley, a Firstline Editorial Advisory Board member, says team members need to remind clients their glorious gardens can be a hotbed of red-alert
plants that can cause everything from gastrointestinal upset to death, depending on the plant and how much the pet consumes.
Weakley recommends keeping a list of common toxins at the front desk for quick reference. She also advises clients to check
the ASPCA Poison Control Center website to see what's toxic for dogs, cats, horses, and other pets.