People food toxic to pets: Alcohol - Firstline
Team Center
Firstline Featuring Information from:


People food toxic to pets: Alcohol

Pet Poison Helpline

< Back | Next >     
What it's in: Alcoholic drinks aside, alcohol can be found in some surprising places. Rum-soaked cakes or candies and dressings containing alcohol may be poisonous to pets. Alcohol is also a major byproduct of ingested yeast-bread dough (see yeast-bread dough).

Threat to pets: Even small amounts of alcohol, especially when ingested by small pets, can cause life-threatening toxicity.

Signs: Alcohol smell on the breath, neurological depression, hypothermia (low body temperature), hypotension (low blood pressure), seizures, and respiratory failure.

Treatment: Administer intravenous dextrose (sugar) and fluids. Warming measures and in-hospital monitoring are also recommended.

Prognosis: Excellent provided the appropriate care is received.

Next: Fatty foods



Source: Pet Poison Helpline,
Click here