CVC Doodle: Controlled substances: What you really need to know
CVC Educator Mary L. Berg, BS, RVT, RLATG, VTS (dentistry), offers these quick tips from her CVC session, "Controlled substances: What you really need to know."
• Schedule I drugs such as heroin or cocaine are rarely used in veterinary practices.
• Schedule II drugs include fentanyl, hydrocodone, morphine.
• Schedule III include buprenorphine and ketamine.
• Schedule IV drugs include buptrophanol, diazepam, phenobarbital.
• Schedule V drugs include preparations such as codeine preparations.
To determine how a drug is classified, check out the doodle below. (Click here for a downloadable PDF.)
For more information about drug schedules, go to http://www.dea.gov/druginfo/ds.shtml.